SKYFALL’s Cast And Filmmakers Arrive On Location In Istanbul; Marks 3rd Time In 50-Year History Of Bond Franchise City Has Served As Backdrop
(L-R) Director Sam Mendes, Daniel Craig and Producer Barbara Broccoli attend a photo conference to mark the filming of SKYFALL, the 23rd James Bond adventure, in Istanbul, Turkey. It is the 3rd time in the 50 year history of the film franchise that the city has served as a backdrop. The photo call took place at the Ciragan Palace Kempinski Hotel on Sunday, April 29, 2012 in Istanbul, Turkey.
Daniel Craig and cast and filmmakers of SKYFALL, the 23rd adventure in the longest-running film franchise of all time, have arrived in Istanbul, Turkey. Their arrival marks the third time a James Bond adventure has filmed in the historic city. Previously, Istanbul served as a backdrop for scenes in FROM RUSSIA WITH LOVE and THE WORLD IS NOT ENOUGH.
SKYFALL locations in Turkey include Adana, Fethiye and Istanbul. At a photo call and press conference today to mark the occasion were producers Michael G. Wilson and Barbara Broccoli, director Sam Mendes, and cast members Daniel Craig, Naomie Harris, Bérénice Marlohe, and Ola Rapace.
(L-R) Director Sam Mendes, Naomie Harris, Daniel Craig, Bérénice Marlohe, Ola Rapace, Producer Barbara Broccoli and Producer Michael G. Wilson. PHOTO BY: ONUR ONAT © 2011 Columbia TriStar Marketing Group, Inc. and MGM Studios. All Rights Reserved.
In SKYFALL, Bond’s loyalty to M is tested as her past comes back to haunt her. As MI6 comes under attack, 007 must track down and destroy the threat, no matter how personal the cost.
SKYFALL is from Albert R. Broccoli’s EON Productions, Metro-Goldwyn-Mayer Studios, and Sony Pictures Entertainment. 2012 marks the 50th anniversary of the legendary motion picture franchise.
Albert R. Broccoli’s EON Productions presents Daniel Craig as Ian Fleming’s James Bond in SKYFALL. The film also stars Javier Bardem, Ralph Fiennes, Naomie Harris, Bérénice Marlohe, Ben Whishaw, with Albert Finney and Judi Dench as ‘M.’ Directed by Sam Mendes. Produced by Michael G. Wilson and Barbara Broccoli. Written by Neal Purvis & Robert Wade and John Logan. Director of Photography is Roger Deakins, ASC BSC. Production Designer is Dennis Gassner. Editor is Stuart Baird, A. C. E. Costume Designer is Jany Temime. The film will begin its worldwide roll-out in the UK and Ireland on October 26th 2012 and in North America on November 9th 2012.
007 fans can learn more about SKYFALL at the James Bond franchise Facebook page at www.facebook.com/JamesBond007 and on Twitter @007
Visit the official site: http://www.007.com/
FUN FACTS ON PREVIOUS BOND FILMS SHOT IN ISTANBUL:
© 1963 Danjaq, LLC and United Artists Corporation. All rights reserved.
FROM RUSSIA WITH LOVE – James Bond (SEAN CONNERY) and Tatiana Romanova (DANIELA BIANCHI) stand together in front of a scenic background including the Hagia Sophia. © 1963 Danjaq, LLC and United Artists Corporation. All rights reserved.
From Russia With Love, 1963
· The film was shot on location in Istanbul in 1963 and includes lots of sweeping scenes of the City. James Bond visits the airport, the railway station, the Grand Bazaar, Hagia Sophia and sails down the Bosphorus.
· During production in 1963 Ian Fleming took Dana Broccoli sightseeing on a boat on the Bosphorus. Ian Fleming had a great knowledge of the city as he had been on an assignment as a journalist the year before. He based the character Kerim Bey on his friend, Oxford-educated, Nazim Kalkaren.
· In Cubby Broccoli’s autobiography (The Man Who Brought James Bond 007 to the Screen), he says that in Istanbul, Ian was in his element. “He loved the sounds, the spicy smells, the bazaars, the street merchants and the belly dancers…”
· The crew were shooting in Turkey for 22 days 22nd April – 13th May 1963
· On the 29th and 30th April the crew were shooting the exterior of a narrow alley and outside the Sehzade Mosque, at night
· Other Turkish locations include halkali region in Istanbul, kabatas ferry, pendik (Istanbul province), Adriatic Coast
· In Cubby’s autobiography he writes that From Russia With Love gave him the opportunity to shoot in one of the world’s most exotic places, Istanbul
FROM RUSSIA WITH LOVE – Ian Fleming poses in front of the Orient Express on location in Turkey. © 1963 Danjaq, LLC and United Artists Corporation. All rights reserved.
The World is Not Enough, 1999
· The crew were shooting in Istanbul for 8 days and locations included the Galata Tower, Karakoy Customs Port, Kasimpasa / Kasimpasa Ferry Terminal, apartment and embankment by Kiz Kulesi, Vogue Restaurant, Scaffold Tower (by Salacak Fisherman’s Harbour), Kucuksu Kasri (Electra’s Villa), Maiden’s Tower, shots of the Istanbul rooftops
· M was held captive in the Maiden’s Tower
· James Bond has returned to shoot at Eminonu Spice Market for SKYFALL