Skeet Ulrich Stars In Horse Racing Film 50 TO 1 About Kentucky Derby’s “Mine That Bird”

50_to_1_first_look_med_quality_7f8ace

Mine That Bird, the underdog racehorse that won the 2009 Kentucky Derby, is the focus of a new Hollywood film 50 TO 1 that opens in theaters March 21, 2014.

The news was announced by 50 TO 1 director, producer, co-writer and racehorse owner Jim Wilson (Oscar-winning producer of “DANCES WITH WOLVES”).

Skeet Ulrich (Jericho, “SCREAM,” “AS GOOD AS IT GETS”), Christian Kane (Leverage)William Devane (24, “THE DARK KNIGHT RISES”), Todd Lowe (True Blood, Gilmore Girls) and newcomer Madelyn Deutch star in the film alongside real-life jockey Calvin Borel, who plays himself in the picture. Faith Conroy co-wrote the script with Wilson.

coverfinal2
(via Christian Kane’s Facebook page)

The film, which is rooted in New Mexico and shot in over 30 locations throughout the state—from Santa Fe to Las Cruces—will kick off the theatrical release with the world premiere in Albuquerque at the historic KiMo Theatre on March 19th.

50 TO 1 is about a misfit group of New Mexico cowboys who find themselves on the journey of a lifetime when their crooked-footed racehorse qualifies for the Kentucky Derby. The cowboys face a series of mishaps on their way to Churchill Downs, becoming the ultimate underdogs in a final showdown with the world’s racing elite.

“I had been waiting for a great racehorse story for a very long time,” Wilson said, noting he had read numerous horse racing scripts over the years, “but when I watched what unfolded at the 2009 Kentucky Derby, I was stunned. I’ve always been a fan of true underdog stories and after meeting the owners, trainer and finally Bird himself, I was hooked. This story had all the cinematic elements you could ask for. It’s been a real adventure and one I am proud to share with the world.”

Read ESPN’s story HERE.

Wilson won the Academy Award® for Best Picture for DANCES WITH WOLVES, which he produced. He also produced THE BODYGUARD, WYATT EARP, SWING VOTE, MR. BROOKS and MESSAGE IN A BOTTLE. Wilson’s previous directing credits include HEAD ABOVE WATER, WHIRLYGIRL and the critically-acclaimed documentary about renowned jockey Laffit Pincay, Jr., “LAFFIT: ALL ABOUT WINNING.”

Mine That Bird (foaled May 10, 2006) is an American thoroughbred racehorse who had a racing career in both Canada and the United States from 2008 to 2010. He is best known for pulling off a monumental upset (at 50-to-1 odds) by winning the Kentucky Derby in 2009. He became one of only nine geldings to win the Kentucky Derby and the second gelding to win the race since 1929. He continued to have success in the two remaining races of the American Triple Crown of Thoroughbred Racing by finishing second in the 2009 Preakness Stakes and third in the 2009 Belmont Stakes. On November 6, 2010, Mine That Bird was retired from racing after being winless in nine starts since the Kentucky Derby. He amassed $2,228,637 in earnings and won five of eighteen starts during his three-year racing career. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mine_that_bird)

MineThatBird_090502_300x275

1. Suze

November 1, 2013 at 11:13 am

I pray you got the breeders story of Mine That Bird. It too is a classic

2. mary e brewer

November 1, 2013 at 12:14 pm

Big fan of Skeet Ulrich.. bigger fan of #ChristianKane.. so really cant wait for this!!

3. Jeannean Sword

November 1, 2013 at 3:11 pm

I have been waiting and waiting for this movie to come out. Christian Kane is such an amazing actor. I am looking forward to seeing what he has done with this role. Skeet Ulrich is one of my favorite actor too, so this movie is going to be great!!

4. Jacquie

November 1, 2013 at 3:23 pm

I am so looking forward to seeing this movie. With Skeet Ulrich, Christian Kane and William Devane?! What a cast. Can’t wait.

5. Sandy Marowitz

November 1, 2013 at 3:23 pm

I am really excited to see this movie finally hit the big screen. Can’t wait to see Christian Kane and Skeet Ulrich .. I hope it comes out in the Philadelphia area!! Read a lot about Mine That Bird when I first heard about this movie and now I just can’t wait to see it!

6. Lindsey

November 1, 2013 at 3:25 pm

I feel like I’ve been waiting forever for new of release for this movie! Can’t wait to see it. Hope it shows in my area. I love Christian Kane in everything he does.

7. Lynda-Emily

November 1, 2013 at 3:25 pm

I look forward to this coming out love Christian Kane as an actor never seen a bad movie with him in it :)

8. Margaret

November 1, 2013 at 3:32 pm

Soooo looking forward to #ChristianKane and Skeet Ulrich in this movie… Any chance it’s going to come down under to Australia??

9. Nema Veze

November 1, 2013 at 3:36 pm

Thank god, finally Christian Kane again :D

10. Kerryanne

November 1, 2013 at 3:37 pm

Cannot wait to see this movie with #Christian Kane and the rest of the stellar cast. Should be a very entertaining flick. Great underdog story too!

11. leenzmatt

November 1, 2013 at 3:58 pm

I will watch this movie! Totally awesome casts! Christian Kane is my favourite actor! I can’t hardly wait to know more about this movie.

12. Lesley Diskin

November 1, 2013 at 4:18 pm

I’ll probably not see this living in the Antipodes but I soooooo want to. Love a good horse race (think Melbourne Cup) and. Good story (think Phar Lap) (think National Velvet) (think Seabiscuit). The added double bonus of Christian Kane and Skeet Urlich is icing on the cake. I wish the movie well.

13. Sarah M

November 1, 2013 at 11:42 pm

So been looking forward to the release of this film, would love to see Christian Kane on the big screen! Really hoping the film might screen in the UK. Hope it exceeds everyone’s expectations.

14. Fran Baker

November 2, 2013 at 6:31 am

Christian Kane, Skeet Ulrich and horses ……what more could you ask for!! Can’t wait to see this movie!:-)

15. Yvette

November 3, 2013 at 8:17 pm

Can’t wait to see this movie! Storyline sounds amazing and I really like Christian Kane.

16. Lesa Moore

December 19, 2013 at 3:49 pm

I hope we get in Australia, despite the very localised storyline. Great actors, great story, I want to see it.