Richard Lynch – Character Actor Dead at 72

His scarred countenance was the result of setting himself on fire during a late ’60s acid trip, but that disfigured look led to a ton of villain roles in a career that spanned four decades and over 100 films. I first took notice of Richard Lynch in the 1972 film SCARECROW when he played a scary prisoner who rapes Al Pacino. It was his first film and after that he almost always played bad guys in movies such as THE SEVEN-UPS, OPEN SEASON, GOD TOLD ME TO, DEATHSPORT, and THE NINTH CONFIGURATION. He battled Chuck Norris as the head baddie in INVASION USA and attempted his own Freddy Kruger spin-off in 1988 starring in BAD DREAMS. His performance as the evil “King Cromwell” in the hit fantasy film THE SWORD AND THE SORCEROR won Lynch the Saturn Award for Best Actor from the Academy of Science Fiction and Fantasy in 1982. In 2007 he was cast as the President of the United States in the spoof MIL MASCARAS VS THE AZTEC MUMMY. The IMDB lists his age as 72 but other sources have him at 76. I don’t know the cause of death but will update this story when those details become available.

Update: A day later and the cause of death has still not been determined. Here’s a tidbit from Fox News.com:

Lynch’s body was found by actress Carol Vogel, Baronas said. After not hearing from Lynch for several days, she stopped by his home Tuesday to find the door ajar.

“When she entered, she discovered him lying on the kitchen floor. She proceeded to call 911 although his body was cold and lifeless,” Baronas said.

“From what I currently understand, no investigation into the cause of his death will be made as his body was sent directly to a funeral home,” he said.

1. Donna B

June 19, 2012 at 9:48 pm

My sympathies go out to his family & friends. As a fan of his I want to thank him for all the great years of entertainment…you will surely be greatly missed.

2. pas cher air max

June 20, 2012 at 2:15 am

Quel plaisir de lire ce post! Cette ann

3. liam

June 20, 2012 at 2:26 am

rest in peace will b missed

4. Gary Douglas

June 20, 2012 at 4:51 am

Oh My god I have just heard the news…it is so sad I just spoke to him a little while ago..working him on my film we became such good friends he was a funny good hearted and very humble proud Irishman…R.I.P from all the Cast and Crew of Gun of the Black Sun.

5. William Lynch

June 20, 2012 at 5:34 am

Thank you for all the warm wishes, my uncle was loved by all of us and will be sorely missed, but we take comfort knowing he is at peace and in the company of those in our family who had gone before him.

6. Kurt Mayry

June 20, 2012 at 12:14 pm

Richard was an exceptionally passionate actor. It was a joy to work with him on a film I produced here in Michigan. In between scenes he would hang out with the crew and talk to everyone. And his ability to give performance and to become the character blew me away. Rest in peace Richard. Godspeed.

7. Movie Jedi

June 21, 2012 at 5:46 pm

It is on rare occasion that an acquaintance can touch your heart and impact your life.

When that person is a celebrity who demonstrates through their kindness, generosity and sincere empathy how

8. Jayco

June 25, 2012 at 3:08 pm

Correction: Mil Mascaras vs. the Aztec Mummy was not a “spoof”.

9. SM

June 28, 2012 at 12:56 pm

Movie Jedi CSB.

Thank you for sharing your memory of Richard.

10. Nike Brand Shoes

August 6, 2012 at 7:43 pm

You look great, and what a wonderful attitude you have! So glad you have gotten out of the house. It’s always hard, we want recovery to go faster. Just remember, one day at a time, and this too shall pass. Hope you will get to feeling better soon.

11. Basketball Sneakers

August 7, 2012 at 2:16 am

Miss Defiant speaks to me – I sometimes feel like that, but never turn it into anything so artistic.