Emi Ito - One of the Twin Fairies Who Sang to MOTHRA Dead at 71 - We Are Movie Geeks

General News

Emi Ito – One of the Twin Fairies Who Sang to MOTHRA Dead at 71

By  |

Kaiju fans are in mourning today. Emi Ito may not be a household name but anyone who grew up watching the Godzilla movies on television remembers the two magical fairies who would sing those lovely lullabies to Mothra, the giant moth. The identical twins were perhaps the most memorable human characters in the Godzilla series, and Emi and Yumi Ito were the two actresses who played the roles. They recorded hit albums in Japan going by the name “The Peanuts” and were one of that country’s first pop sensations, one of the few that became well known internationally.

The sisters Emi and Yumi Ito, were born Hideyo and Tsukiko Ito on April 1, 1941 in Aichi prefecture. They were discovered by Watanabe Pro founder Sho Watanabe, a music impresario who first saw them performing at a club in Nagoya as the Ito Sisters. In 1958 brought them to Tokyo, where they were dubbed The Peanuts. The pair debuted in 1959 with “Kawaii Hana” (Cute Flower) and gained popularity through their appearances on the musical variety show “Shabondama Holiday” (Soap Bubble Holiday). In 1961, they achieved international immortality when they appeared in the movie MOTHRA as fairies, or pixies, called “shobijin” (small beauties) who had telepathic communication with Mothra, giving The Peanuts a somewhat supernatural aura. They returned to serenade Mothra in GODZILLA VS THE THING (1964) and GHIDRA THE THREE HEADED MONSTER (1965). The Peanuts also came to the U.S. where they appeared on the popular variety TV shows The Ed Sullivan Show and The Danny Kaye Show. The duo retired from show biz in 1975. Ito was 71 and is survived by her sister.

1. Pingback: Beyond Comic Con: 8 Great Pop Culture Gatherings to Attend This Summer

2. Pingback: Beyond Comic Con: 8 Great Pop Culture Gatherings to Attend This Summer

3. Pingback: Beyond Comic Con: 8 Great Pop Culture Gatherings to Attend This Summer - 100.7 KOOL FM

4. Pingback: Beyond Comic Con: 8 Great Pop Culture Gatherings to Attend This Summer - Classic Country 1280 KSLI

5. ralphpreedy

September 1, 2012 at 4:20 pm

RIP, Emi! Thank you for the wonderful memories of my childhood! You will be missed!! My sincerest condolences to the Ito family!

6. Arthur

June 5, 2014 at 10:57 pm

R.I.P. Emi Ito. So deeply sad when I heard about her passing. I always have and always will love them. Beautiful memories from my childhood. I have some of their enchanting music on CD.

7. J.D. Lees

August 28, 2015 at 6:39 am

The girls in the picture above, wearing pink outfits, are not Emi and Yumi Ito. The picture is from Godzilla vs Mothra (1992), and The Peanuts had long since retired from the roles of the Shobijin.

• Jim Mount

August 28, 2015 at 2:24 pm

Good catch JD, I was just about to post the same thing. Great piece though. I always wanted to meet them.

8. Daikaijudean

August 28, 2015 at 9:37 am

A very pretty voice from a very pretty lady. Mothra vs. Godzilla aka Godzilla vs. the Thing was the best,most classic Godzilla film the 1960’s had to offer. Emi,an Yumi Ito played awesome roles in this film,and were a large reason for making this movie one of the most well remembered Godzilla films ever. This is a classic I’m proud to own.

9. TraviX PV

December 30, 2016 at 4:02 am

I appreciate the memories. RIP. I am watching Godzilla vs. The Sea Monster now featuring the two of you. You both are part of a differece in my childhood. Thank you so much.
    Travix PV.

10. David Leija

February 18, 2017 at 10:55 pm

What Angelic voices the twins were blessed with and we’re truly inspiring to me,even to this day.
    RIP,little beauty.
    In peace and infinite blessings,

Your brother and friend,

David doc Leija

11. Donna

February 19, 2017 at 1:11 am

enjoying your duets tonight.

12. Danny

May 6, 2017 at 9:02 pm

I have been puzzled by the tiny twin girls as I always seem to miss the part of the movie that explains them. Now I can relax and enjoy. These are such fun movies. Little boys are so drawn to giant monsters destroying stuff.

• Ellen Hebb

January 20, 2018 at 8:27 pm

Little boys?? I’m a 50 year-old woman and i still love it!!! Hahaaaa

13. the gold view quan 4

June 30, 2017 at 5:22 am

I have been exploring for a little bit for any high quality articles or
    weblog posts on this kind of area . Exploring in Yahoo I eventually stumbled upon this website.
    Studying this info So i am glad to show that I’ve a very good uncanny feeling I discovered
    just what I needed. I most surely will make certain to don?t disregard this
    site and provides it a look regularly.

14. nila

February 21, 2018 at 7:35 pm

“return the egg to us!”

15. wilczysko.pl

October 26, 2018 at 5:56 pm

always i used to read smaller posts that as well clear their motive, and that is
    also happening with this piece of writing which
    I am reading now.

16. Melhor Desentupidora de Curitiba

November 28, 2018 at 9:44 am

It’s a pity you don’t have a donate button! I’d most certainly donate to this superb blog!

I suppose for now i’ll settle for book-marking and adding your
    RSS feed to my Google account. I look forward to new updates and
    will share this blog with my Facebook group. Chat soon!