VINCENTENNIAL: THE FLY star David Hedison writes about Vincent Price

Article by David Hedison

The Vincentennial Vincent Price Film Festival kicks off May 19th with a screening of the 1958 horror classic THE FLY at the Missouri History Museum. We invited David Hedison, who played that film’s title role to attend our event but his wife had scheduled a trip to San Francisco for his 85th birthday the following day so he had to decline our invitation. He did however, kindly offer to write a testimonial about working with Vincent Price and that is presented for the first time here at We Are Movie Geeks

For the past fifty-two years of my life (ouch!) so many people have asked me the same question: “What was it like working with Vincent Price in THE FLY?” Truthfully I never did work with Vincent OR Herbert Marshall in that film since we all worked on different days during that fast 18 day shoot. I did, of course, meet him casually at the cast party, but it wasn’t until I was involved in the TV series Voyage To The Bottom Of The Sea (or as I used to tell my friends – Voyage To The Bottom Of Your Career). It always got a laugh. One happy day Vincent was cast in The Deadly Dolls episode, and I couldn’t wait for him to walk in the door of the soundstage. I greeted him, laughed, shook his hand, shared a bawdy joke with him that I’d just heard. He gave me a big hug and said: “David, dear David, I watched you for awhile when you were filming your sequences on our film a few years ago, and I remember you as being SO earnest and serious!” I guess I was at the time. I took Andre de Lambre and his horrible predicament VERY seriously. Vincent, Richard Basehart, me, the cast and crew had an enjoyable, and happy six days with Vincent, and he was loved and admired by all. He invited Richard (with his wife Diana) and yours truly to his home for dinner. Vincent and his wife at the time, Mary, were brilliant cooks so you can just imagine the incredible feast served to us that evening. I saw Vincent socially many times after that. He was an incredible human being. I can honestly say that during all my years in Hollywood Vincent Price was definitely one of the highlights in my life. I miss him. Very much. But who knows………….maybe in the NEXT life?

1. David

April 25, 2011 at 10:21 am

What a great interview snippet! I can’t wait for the Vincentennial to start!

• Scott

April 25, 2011 at 1:53 pm

Very nice tribute to Mr. Price. I loved many of his films and TV appearances, and especially enjoyed him as Professor Multiple on Voyage (my favorite series). Thanks, Mr. Hedison, for a very nice write up.

2. Christine Schott

April 26, 2011 at 11:53 am

That was a very sweet memory. I truly loved the episode “The Deadly Dolls” on “Voyage to the Bottom of the Sea.” It must have been very disappointing not to work directly with Vincent Price on The Fly.

3. hugo daniel

April 26, 2011 at 6:07 pm

Hola amigos, soy un ferviente admirador de david por su trayectoria, pero especialmente la serie viaje al fondo del mar del cual soy su fan numero 1 , me parece muy loable el comentario de david sobre vincent price un actor completo para cualquier papel , aunque haya trabajado casi exclusivamente en peliculas de terror, gracias por permitirme expresar este comentario, saludos cordiales.

4. Jeffrey Talbot

May 22, 2011 at 6:18 am

Vincent Price has always been one of my favourite classic horror genre movie stars. Indeed as a young boy growing in the early to mid-1960s I was previleged to see many of his (then) current films and I still immensely enjoy them on DVD and television airings all these (long) years later.

My late sister (also a Vincent Price fan) actually met Mr. Price on a downtown Toronto street when he politely approached her asking for directions.

Can you imagine how thrilling that must have been for her?!

The VOYAGE TO THE BOTTOM OF THE SEA (ABC 1964-68) episode “The Deadly Dolls” (01/10/1967) is definitely a highlight of this classic Irwin Allen produced 1960s SF tv series’ fourth season (1967-68).

We will (definitely) never see the like of these splendid actors again.

5. kominki

August 18, 2011 at 2:44 am

My wife and i ended up being very ecstatic that Jordan could finish off his reports out of the ideas he was given from your web pages. It’s not at all simplistic just to be handing out thoughts that people today have been trying to sell. So we figure out we have the writer to give thanks to for this. The main illustrations you’ve made, the straightforward web site navigation, the friendships you can make it possible to engender – it’s got all fabulous, and it’s really aiding our son and us imagine that this topic is pleasurable, and that’s exceptionally pressing. Many thanks for everything!

6. punca buasir

November 13, 2011 at 2:40 am

Hello my friend! I wish to say that this post is awesome, nice written and come with almost all significant infos. I’d like to look more posts like this .

7. orthodontist prices

March 2, 2012 at 10:36 am

Have you thought about adding some videos to your article? I think it will really enhance everyones understanding.